Sunday, April 25, 2010

Everything

Okay- Sorry! I just wanted to write more =)

Okay- Daily live...changes every day! My school is in the middle of Shibuya, so there's NEVER a dull moment. It's a 5 minute walk to Harajuku, and a short jaunt to any other famous place in Tokyo. I LOVE it so much. I feel like I'm a part of whats going on in the world. It's not uncommon to see celebs walking around.
A member of Johnny attends my school (I saw him, and then walked into the conbi and he was on a huge poster in there, and on a magazine cover) Literally across the street is where Ikuta Toma was in Grease last year. (I LOVE Ikuta Toma). Aoyama Gakuin is one of the best schools in Japan. Whenever I tell people I go there, they get super excited. They ask how I got into the school, assuming that I had to take exams to get in. It's wonderful. I couldn't be happier =)

My dorm is a 40 minute train ride away (which is very common for Japan) but I've found that I actually like the trains. I get super weird looks cause...well I'm white and have blue eyes... but It's super interesting. Yesterday this adorable kid kept staring at me, and then said "Helro!!" like...20 times or so. It was ridiculously adorable. His parents were cracking up =)

I've seen a lot of old friends, which is really nice. I loved seeing Haruna and Yuki that one time, I've seen Tiffany Ross, Mai and John! I hope to see more people over golden week too!

I've made some really good friends here. I'm gonna give you all a briefing, but I know that this can never do these people justice, but just so you have some idea!

Cat is AMAZING. I don't think she realizes how wonderful she is, but I'm so happy whenever we spend time together =)
I don't really know what to say...but we have some awesome conversations, and I quote;

"I think it's easier for black people to mug people at night, cause... they blend in"
"Yeah...well I think it's easier for white people to attack from the snow."
Okay...that's worded oddly, I can't remember exactly, but you get the gist! She's so much fun, and genuinely a wonderful person. She's been there for me from the first day. When I was so confused and overwhelmed by the Japanese around me! I think she's one of the main reasons I don't miss the US, because when I'm with her, it feels like the US. Except she understands my love for Japan stuff, so it's like having a little bit of home, but with a Japanese twist.

Ling, Teddy, and Jamie: I love these girls =) They're from hong kong, and just....amazing! They're so funny and so cute. I've spent a ton of time with them, and I feel like we've gotten very close. I don't even know what to say about them!!

Vivian: Vivian is so funny, she's very kind and I've had some great talks with her. She's from America, but is ethnically chinese. I realy like her! She's a ton of fun =)

Fumi Kimura: From the dayI met this girls, she has gone way out of her way to help me out with the whole...Japan...thing. She's wonderful, and supportive and fun! I looooooove her so much! I'm hope to see her a lot =) Maybe even visit her sometime!

Yuria: Aaaaaahhhh! Yuria is so much fun! She talks fast, but is SO amazing. I've hung out with her on several occasions, and soon (hopefully this weekend) we're gonna hang out at her place and watch a whole bunch of American Movies. I have a class with her, and have just hung out on a couple times! I can't wait to spend more time with her!

OKay... I'm getting tired of the shout outs. Maybe I'll do one a week or something like that =)

Classes!

Japanese
I have to teachers, and once I figure out how the set up works a little better it'll be great! But it's a little awkward having two seperate lessons going on at once but on opposite days. I do love the teachers though! Especially Mori Sensei!!! She's a blast =)

Japanese Culture
Mori Sensei again! This kinda feels like Japanese class, but we do things like calligraphy and whatnot.

Japanology
Ugh. So dreadfully boring! I like the teacher and all...but I don't understand what he's saying, and when I do understand something, I don't understand why he's saying it.

Music and Philosophy
Haven't gone yet! The first week the teacher didn't show up, and the second week my train was late due to suicide so I missed class!

Intercultural Communications
The teacher is very kind, and I like the people I sit around! I also rather enjoy the readings we have to do! I'm SO happy that I'm an Intercultural Communications major now

Thinking of Peace
I hate being an American.

Intercultural Communication Sem.
SO AMAZING!!!! I love this class =) I have to get up at 6am to go to it, but it's freaking amazing! I love my group, and aaaah! <3

Performance Studies
OKay, so my teacher professionally directs plays in Tokyo. That's HUGE! He's really cool, and I think that my acting will improve a ton. I've never workedwith someone who is such a big director. But this class is only partially about acting and stuff. We study different social injustices, and then perform significant events or speeches or something. I'm gonna show everyone Prop 8 the musical when it gets to that particular -ism)

Intercultural Lit
My teacher is crazy. I mean like...Jim Carrey Crazy.

Colors and Shapes
I like it! It's my first real art class and I really really like it!! It's in Japanese, but I understand the teacher pretty well, and that's pretty cool.


I can't really describe how wonderful it is to have decided to stay for a year. I get giddy and excited. I feel like maybe my japanese really will improve a great amount,and I'll really have time to form some great friendships with people around me. I dropped my theater major, but there's a lot of relieve tied to that statement. Goodbye Stage management class, goodbye scenic design, goodbye environment that drives me insane.
I dropped out of directing the icebreaker: Good bye too much time with Sunderland!

I'll miss my family like crazy, (I already want to call them everyday, but it's too damned expensive!) will miss some important events, will miss friends a ton. But I think we'll all be okay. =)

Okay...I'm running out of writing steam... I'll write more soon!
I could never say enough about Japan =)

LOVE YOU NANA! Talking to you on the phone made my life better. I miss you! <3

1 comment:

  1. I just did a presentation about a famous director from Japan... Tadashi Suzuki. He does a lot of really cool and intense exercises. I bet you will learn them if you are in Japan. Tell me about them!

    ReplyDelete